X9’s Quantum Computing Information
Welcome to the X9 Quantum Computing information site
In 2017, X9 recognized the future importance of quantum computing to the financial industry and created a study group to investigate quantum technology. The study group set the following goals: 1) track the development of technology required to build a stable, large scale, cryptographically relevant quantum computer; 2) identify the companies, universities and countries that have the largest and most advanced functioning quantum computers and providing available details; 3) follow research into methods to minimize or eliminate avenues of attack by quantum computers on the financial services industry; 4) determine what actions the financial services industry should be pursuing to protect against future attacks from quantum computers; and 5) periodically publish reports on all of these efforts.
The study group is still committed to these goals and has published two versions of an informative report titled: “Quantum Computing Risks to the Financial Services Industry.” The first version was released in 2019 and the second version was released on November 29, 2022. Click on the button above or the URL below to request a free copy of either of these reports.
The study group is currently working on a new document titled: “PQC Crypto Market Readiness Needs Assessment.” If you would like to participate in this work, please contact X9 staff (email@example.com) for information.
URLs to Recent Quantum Computing Related Publications.
- X9 Video dated November 29, 2022 for the Release of second Quantum Risk Report
- NIST Announces First Four Quantum-Resistant Cryptographic Algorithms (July 2022)
- X9 Press Release on Quantum Computing Risks to the financial services industry.
- NIST Reveals 26 Algorithms Advancing to the Post-Quantum Crypt ‘Semifinals’.
- Wired – Inside the High-Stakes Race to Make Quantum Computers Work.
- Quantum Computing That Can Crack Modern Encryption More Than a Decade Away.
- Quantum Computing Done at Scale.
Request Recent X9 Publications.
ASC X9 TR 48-2018 Card-Not-Present (CNP) Fraud Mitigation in the United States
ANSI X9.124-2-2018 Financial Services – Symmetric Key Cryptography for the Financial Services Industry – Format
Preserving Encryption- Part 2: Key Stream with Counter Mode
ANSI X9.129-2017 (Version 01) Legal Order Exchange
ANSI X9.69-2017 Framework for Key Management Extensions